HOME
RESIDENTIAL
COMMERCIAL
LEASING/RENTAL
SHERIFF'S SALE
TERMINOLOGY
HISTORY
ORGANIZATIONS
HOME TOUR
LINKS
ABOUT US
CONTACT US







Murray-Gohmann House
1106 East Elm Street
New Albany, IN 47150
Sheriff Sale




Listing Description:

Built c.1890. Shotgun. The Murray-Gohmann House. George Helfrich, Jr. purchased this lot in November of 1885 from Dr. Augustus Hauss and his wife. In November of 1889, George signed the property over to Martha Helfrich, who was probably his wife. The exact date of construction is unclear but it occurred sometime between 1885 and 1890. The Helfriches used the property for an investment, and rented it out for at least 20 years.

By the early 1910s, the Jas. J. Murray family was making their home here.  Mr. Murray was listed as a salesman in the 1913 New Albany City Directory. Members of the Murray family lived in the home for over 50 years.

By 1966, Miss Agnes Gohmann was residing here. Miss Agnes, as she was affectionately known, was an employee of S. W. Newburger’s prestigious White House Department Store, located on Pearl Street in downtown New Albany.  For many, many years, she called the Fine Gifts and Household Department, on the 3rd floor, her home.  Miss Gohmann retired from the White House when it closed in 1977 and continued to live on Elm Street until her death in August of 1986.

The house is located in the East Spring Street local historic district, which means that any exterior changes will need to be approved by the New Albany Historic Preservation Commission.




Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
 
Contact: To be sold at Sheriff’s Sale Wednesday, 30 August 2006 at 10:00 AM in the Office of the Sheriff of Floyd County (first floor of the City-County Building, 311 Hauss Square, New Albany).




View the Sold Listings

Bookmark and Share  Print 
Copyright © 2017 Indiana Landmarks All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Powered by