HOME
RESIDENTIAL
COMMERCIAL
LEASING/RENTAL
SHERIFF'S SALE
TERMINOLOGY
HISTORY
ORGANIZATIONS
HOME TOUR
LINKS
ABOUT US
CONTACT US







Vernia-Grossman House
1516 Culbertson Avenue
New Albany, IN 47150
$10,000




Listing Description:
Shotgun. Built ca. 1880. Vernia-Grossman House. Culbertson Avenue was originally known as Sycamore Street, but the name was later changed to honor the memory of one of New Albany’s most wealthy citizens and top philanthropist, William S. Culbertson. Prior to Culbertson’s death in 1892, he provided funding for an orphanage and a widow’s home in New Albany. At the time of his death, Culbertson was considered the wealthiest man in the state of Indiana. It was after this time that the name of the street was changed.

This house, and the structure to the west, were built for Peter Vernia around 1880 for investment purposes. The first residents of the home are unknown, but by 1903, John E. Feiock was residing here. At that time, Feiock was a bartender for James C. McManus Saloon on Vincennes Street.

In December 1918, Hugh and Carrie (Vernia) Grossman purchased the house from the Vernia-family heirs. Grossman was an electrician for the Indiana Public Service Co. Carrie died in May 1937 and Hugh remained in the home, along with his second wife Alice, until the mid-1950s. The photo below shows the home when it was on the market in 1971.



To be sold at online auction beginning 17 November and ending 19 November. For more information or to register to bid, visit www.auction.com. Property is being sold as-is, starting bid $10,000.



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Sale Price: $10,000.00
 
Contact: To be sold at online auction beginning 17 November and ending 19 November. For more information visit www.auction.com or contact John Koerner, Property Advancement Realty, at 812/218-8465. 

Bookmark and Share  Print 
Copyright © 2018 Indiana Landmarks All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Powered by