Vernia-Condra House 1316 East Elm Street New Albany, IN 47150
|
Sheriff Sale
|
The expanded East Spring Street Historic District – including this home – was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 2020. Because this home is a contributing property in a National Register-listed district, the owner would be eligible to utilize state tax credits to help recoup a portion of rehabilitation costs. More information is available here:
https://www.in.gov/dnr/historic-preservation/financial-assistance/residential-tax-credit.
This gabled-ell form house likely dates to circa 1890: a structure which matches the footprint of this one appears on the 1891 Sanborn Fire Insurance Map of New Albany. Sometime between 1905 and the 1949 update of the map, the front porch was expanded to its current form.
The earliest residents of the house are unknown, but it went through a series of occupants in the early 20
th century, including Ernest Losson (a blacksmith), Charles Pfeffer (a salesman) and Isaac King (a carpenter). By the 1909-10 edition of the New Albany
City Directory, Charles Vernia was living here. He was secretary at his family’s business, John Vernia and Son Marble. He resided here for about ten years before relocating to the home at 1940 Culbertson Avenue.
By the 1923-24
City Directory, William S. Condra was living here. He was a concrete contractor by trade and was likely responsible for the current front porch. The photo below, from the collection of the Southern Indiana Realtors' Association, shows the house when it was on the market in 1975.
The property’s judgment number is 22DO3-2512-MF-002131. With this number you can visit the Clerk’s Office in the City-County building and enter it into their computers to find the judgment owed on the property. This is public record.
| |
| |
| Contact: |
To be sold at Sheriff’s Sale Thursday, 9 July 2026 at 10:00 AM on the third floor of the City-County Building (311 Hauss Square, New Albany). Judgment number: 22DO3-2512-MF-002131. |