HOME
RESIDENTIAL
COMMERCIAL
LEASING/RENTAL
SHERIFF'S SALE
TERMINOLOGY
HISTORY
ORGANIZATIONS
HOME TOUR
LINKS
ABOUT US
CONTACT US







James and Mabel Eve House
1826 Shelby Street
New Albany, IN 47150
$169,900




Listing Description:
Believed to have been built around 1924, the house first appears in the 1925-1926 New Albany City Directory. The first residents were James and Mabel Eve: James was a foreman for the Kahler Company, manufacturers of automobile bodies. The factory was located at the North Y, at Grant Line Road and Vincennes Street in New Albany. The Eve family – including sons James Jr., a draftsman for the Kahler Company, and Chester, an electrician – continued to live here through the early 1940s, when the elder Eves moved to a home on Grant Line Road.

The house had a number of residents through the remainder of the 1940s and mid-1950s, including Carl Armstrong of the U.S. Navy and his wife Anna; George Aldrich, an accountant, and wife Marjorie; Manuel Levey, manager of a clothing shop, and his wife Leona; and insurance agent Carl Bowman and wife Dorothy.
 
By the printing of the 1956 New Albany City Directory, Hugh and Frances Needham were residing here. Hugh was an assistant engineer for the U.S. General Services Administration in Louisville. The house has remained in the Needham family since that time.
 
The Eve House offers over 1600 square feet of living space, including three bedrooms and one bathroom. The exterior is largely unchanged from its original appearance. A wide, shed roof dormer sits atop the front slope of the side-gabled roof, with a gabled dormer on the rear slope. The roofline is further punctuated by a tall, exterior brick chimney running up the east wall and triangular knee braces under the wide eaves overhang. An inviting full-width porch runs across the façade of the house, with tapered brick piers and a solid brick railing. The house retains its original clapboard siding and Craftsman-style wood windows. 


 
The multi-lite front door opens into a bright and spacious living room that runs the width of the house. The original hardwood flooring and natural finish woodwork found throughout the house is on full display here, and the room also includes a vintage light fixture. The focal point of the room is a brick fireplace with a built-in bookshelf adjacent and multi-lite hopper-style windows flanking.



French doors lead to the dining room, which includes a bay window with a window seat. The adjacent kitchen has been updated but retains a period feel, with butcher block counter tops, beadboard wainscoting and lots of cabinet and shelf space.



A sunroom at the rear of the house provides a cozy year-round spot to enjoy the private backyard.


 
An enclosed staircase leads upstairs, where the bedrooms and bathroom are arranged around a central hallway. Original hardwood floors are also found on this level, as well as natural finish woodwork and original two-panel doors. Each of the bedrooms is good-sized and includes at least one closet, and one includes a window seat with storage. The bathroom has been updated.


 
The home sits on a full, unfinished basement that provides abundant storage. The fenced, double lot includes mature trees and plenty of off-street parking, with two detached garages at the alley and additional parking on a paved area adhjacent to the garages.
 



Driving Directions:




Additional Information:
 
Sale Price: $169,900.00
 
Contact: For more information contact Sara Nicholson, Keller Williams Realty Consultants, at 812/697-7269, 502/509-2011 or sara@wearelivelife.com. 



Photo Gallery:

Click a Photo Above for a Larger Version

Bookmark and Share  Print 
Copyright © 2022 Indiana Landmarks All Rights Reserved Terms of Use | Privacy Statement
Powered by